Mindset Teach seeks to provide teacher development support that is cost effective, holistic and scalable.
Mindset Teach - helping every teacher to teach well to every learner
The case for high quality teacher development in South Africa is clear
- Education outcomes in SA are very poor
- The majority of teachers are demoralised.
- Most current teachers received their education and training under Apartheid
- There is generally poor content and pedagogical knowledge.
- Many schools and teachers are poorly managed.
- The profession is not attracting enough quality entrants.
A McKinsey & Company report entitled How the world’s best performing school systems come out on top isolates the following:
The quality of an education system cannot exceed the quality of its teachers
The only way to improve outcomes is to improve instruction
- The only way for the system to reach the highest performance is to raise the standard of every student
Thus Mindset Teach focuses on
- Sharing effective classroom practice and school improvement strategies using high quality narrative video
- “Re-professionalising” the profession and rebuilding the esteem of teachers by treating them like professionals and valued members of society
Mindset Teach operates from the following key principles
- Teacher development needs to be activated not delivered - it is something done WITH and not TO teachers
- Teachers need to be given good reasons to develop and change and these are often as unique as teachers
- Teachers need safe spaces to confess their difficulties
- Teacher development is a heart and mind exercise
As such, all teacher development videos produced by Mindset Teach
- Show authentic practice - real teachers in real classrooms
- Aim to change habits rather than just knowledge
- Promote reflective learning and mentoring
- Support Professional Learning Communities and peer to peer networks
- Use broadcast television production standards
- Are 15 minutes or shorter - “coffee break” format
Most videos are supported by PDF Lesson Plans.